Workshop Supervisor (with additional responsibilities):
New Life Wood is a charity founded in 2017. Its aims are to save resources and to create jobs and training opportunities for local people, especially those who might be considered marginalised from the labour market.
Its activity is based around collecting waste wood mostly from the construction sector. The wood is then sorted and as much as possible is separated for reuse; it is then sold back to the public for DIY, made into products in the workshop, sold as firewood or passed on for use in power generation.
New Life Wood has obtained charitable status. There is now a vacancy for a hands-on Workshop Supervisor who will also manage wood collections and drive retail sales on a day to day basis.
Purpose of the post:
The primary purpose of this new full-time post is to oversee and supervise the safe running of the wood workshop (this accounts for 22.5hours of the working week)
The purpose of the remaining 17.5hours of the role are to drive up retail sales and manage wood collections to achieve NLW’s mission and business plan.
New Life Wood General Manager
Primarily at Pitsea site but occasionally within the specified wood collection area for NLW
Hours: 40 hours per week (some Saturday working required)
Probationary period: 3 months.
Salary: £21,720 per annum.
Reply to: Please complete application form, scan and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Friday 29th November
Main duties and responsibilities
Overall responsibility for managing the workshop and includes retail, wood collections and sales performance.
- Ensuring safe running of wood workshop and compliance at all times with Health and Safety legislation
- Ensuring workshop is kept clean and tidy
- Ensuring wood products produced are quality checked and fit for purpose
- Monitoring machinery and all tools and advising general manager of any issues
- Monitoring stocks levels of screws, fixings, paints and solvents and advising general manager when levels are low and in need of replacing
- Arranging and ensuring the smooth running of wood collections
- Liaising with building site manager to book in wood collections as required
- Improve administrative procedures as necessary
- When necessary carry out collections in absence of driver/loader or general manager
- To contribute to and support the development and implementation of the marketing and promotion strategy with designated person(s) working on marketing and communications within NLW
- To visit clients (especially existing/potential wood collection customers and site managers) as required
- To be available for any interviews for case studies and articles that are offered • Collating and managing databases of potential customers
- Carrying out web-based research to identify potential customers
- Telephone research of potential customers (including some “cold calling” on the phone)
- Sending bulk mailings by post and email
- Recording data and updating customer records via our web-based customer relationship management system (CRM)
- Dealing with paperwork and administration as required
- Ensure adherence to all NLW policies
- Will be required to perform any other duties as necessary
- An excellent communicator building relationships at all levels internally and externally
- Sound understanding of Health and Safety issues and commitment to best practice
- Reasonable DIY skills and some woodworking skills/power tool experience
- Proven experience of a sales environment
- Ability to work quickly and accurately, with an eye for detail
- Good negotiator and capable of thinking and responding flexibly and consistently
- A motivated self-starter, capable of both working in a team and alone and able to work on own initiative
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to set and meet deadlines
- Ability to work alongside all volunteers including work placements and mentors
- Ability to organise all volunteers in order to achieve work placement objectives
- Ability to listen well and empathise with a wide range of people
- Commitment to our environmental aims and to social justice
- Commitment to Equal Opportunities
- Full, clean driving licence
- Excellent telephone and written communication skills
- Can-do attitude and bright positive personality
- A practicing Christian who supports NLW’s basis of faith and who is committed to NLW Christian aims.
- Experience of HR
- Computer literacy – including Microsoft Office-type software and CRM packages
- Retail experience and a good understanding of retail best practice of business to business sales, preferably in the construction sector
- Understanding of marketing approaches and strategies and experience of a marketing environment
- Good computer literacy (Microsoft Office programmes)